Lend your creativity and innovation to a Cambodian social enterprise – whose mission is to recycle discarded materials into up cycled products -and volunteer with Khmer wonder-women, who in turn are transforming their lives through employment opportunities
- Suitable for: Professionals experienced in recyclable product design
- Also open to student’s internship with submission of previous design ideas
- Due to being a female empowerment project, we are looking for female volunteers only
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday, part time flexibility can be discussed
- Reports to: General Manager
- The social enterprise currently works with recycled plastic bags, rescued from the environment, but are ready to extend to other materials in order to expand product offerings, environmental impact and financial stability.
- By the end of the project, you should deliver 1 new range of minimum 5-10 products made from 1 core new material. Experiments with additional materials could be begun, time allowing.
- Work Experience: minimum 3 years’ work experience in design
- Also suitable to student’s internship with submission of previous design ideas.
- Language Skills: Fluency in English
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Be a creative individual who can turn ideas into desirable and unique products, from concept through sample testing and final designs
- Passionate about upcycling and how it can help to protect the environment
- Can-do, flexible attitude – ensuring your ideas are workable and realistic
- Patient and open-minded approach to working in a new culture and environment
- Friendly and personable approach to local staff (and members of the public, who will also be visiting the workshop)
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Sample of design ideas
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Police check in native country
- Accomodation and meals allowance
- A bicycle
- Reference letter
- Office desk with wi-fi
- Make an impact – As a professional, your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist the social enterprise to implement innovative solutions
- Become a world citizen – You will be given a full orientation on arrival to help settle you into the group. You will learn basic Khmer instruction to help with your daily interaction with the team
- You will work from Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm with time for a lunch with your co-workers.
- On the weekends, you will be able to enjoy your free time and explore at your leisure, as well as during public holidays.
- You will be working in a fun and colourful all-female environment.
The Host Organization
- This project is located in a workshop located in Siem Reap.
- It is a female empowerment, skills-training and environmental clean-up initiative all in one. Through imaginative upcycling solutions to Cambodia’s plastic pollution, they employ marginalised Khmer women to create products of value, so they can support their families and transform their lives.
- All products are 100% upcycled from discarded materials rescued from the environment, with the aim of creating sustainable and fair-trade employment opportunities for Khmer women, and ethical shopping with real social and eco impact for customers.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.