Pursue your passion of protecting the environment and improving public health by volunteering for a well-established social enterprise whose mission is to reduce the environmental impact of the tourism industry in Cambodia.
- Suitable for: Professionals with experience in engineering
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Founder and Director
- Helping the production of biodiesel and soap which is made from upcycled used cooking oil.
- Biodiesel testing and quality control
- Operating methanol recovery system
- Assisting in new plastic recycling program by providing input on machine and product design.
- Engineering background (or equivalent experience)
- Language Skills: Fluency in English
- Minimum 3 months
- We do not do “voluntourism”. We are proud to be working with sustainable and responsible projects where volunteers can make a real impact. Volunteering for only a couple of days will unfortunately not achieve the level of impact we envision for the organization or in the communities they serve. In some cases, short-term volunteering may disrupt the schedule and objectives of the project
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- Ability to work with people different from you
- Passion for finding creative solutions that help the environment
- Well-Organized , task and goal oriented
- Ability to work both in a team on independently
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Expand your professional skills – Volunteer alongside a team of passionate and experienced team
- Go beyond your comfort zone – You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things, including project management, conflict resolution, problem solving and cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- Bicycle for the duration your stay in Siem Reap
- Free Khmer language lessons
- Eco-friendly travel kit
- In-depth training on biodiesel production, soap production, and plastic recycling
- Networking opportunities
- Team building activities
- You will work from Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm with 2 hours lunch time for a lunch with your co-workers.
- On the weekends, you will be able to enjoy your free time and explore at your leisure, as well as during public holidays.
The Host Organization
This project takes place at a ten-year-old social enterprise in Siem Reap, Cambodia focused on reducing the environmental impact of the tourism industry. The organization collects waste plastic, paper, and cooking oil, and upcycles it into high quality and useful products. Specifically, the soap made from used cooking oil is provided to rural communities with the help of nonprofit partners.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your living and travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.