Are you a visual storyteller, a communicator also experienced in digital marketing? Put your expertise at the service of a Cambodian/UK social enterprise that provides mentorship and employment for young, disadvantaged and disabled Cambodians in the field of sustainable jewelry production.
- Suitable for: Experienced professionals in communications
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: from September 2020 project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Owner and Founder
- Write engaging stories of the Cambodian jeweler making team (struggles, successes and ambitions) and give them a voice within the international community.
- Develop an online marketing campaign aiming to raise funds to support Cambodians staff to start their own jewelry business and provide childcare for female staff members with children.
- Create visual content through photography and videos.
- Minimum of two years work experience in communications, marketing, digital marketing, social media, or digital media
- Former experience in arts and crafts industry would be an advantage
- College or university education in Communications, Marketing, or similar
- Excellent command of the English language
- You are expected to bring your own equipment (laptop, camera).
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Patience and flexibility
- Open minded approach
- Autonomous and independent spirit
- Ready to adapt and understand a new culture’s way of thinking and working as each artisan has different levels of communication and trust and it will take time to get to know them.
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Expand your professional skills – you will obtain in-depth knowledge of running a jewelry business in a developing country, what the challenges are, and what is needed to upscale and create more employment opportunities.
- Learning opportunity – you will have the chance to try jewelry making, and learn crafts skills.
- Understand the local culture – you will engage with the local Cambodian staff – sharing food, meeting families (and lovely children!). Learn about local culture, visiting pagodas, temples, and try countryside activities with the team.
- Become a world citizen –You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and through the owners’ extensive network of social and other artisan companies in Siem Reap, you will learn a great deal about artisan crafts as a way of life.
- Make an impact – You will experience the satisfaction of making a real difference to the artisans’ lives, empowering them to communicate their dreams and ambitions and develop into self-sufficient, independent artisans.
- Pick up from the airport
- Free bicycle
- Visa advice
- Working space with wifi
- Free jewelry making classes
- Networking opportunities with Siem Reap social scene, collaboration with other artisan groups
- Reference letter
- You will work at the social enterprise workshop, located in Siem Reap town along with local staff and the owner
- You will work from Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm with time for a lunch with your co-workers.
- On the weekends, you will be able to enjoy your free time and explore at your leisure, as well as during public holidays.
The Host Organization
The project is located at a legally registered social enterprise in Siem Reap, Cambodia that provides inspired, ethical mentorship and employment for young, disadvantaged, and disabled Cambodians in the field of jewelry design, production, marketing, and sales. The artisans are a little shy, but friendly and excited to welcome foreigners to observe and interact with their work. As a rapidly developing country, this social enterprise has a busy workshop with lots of activity on a daily basis.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your living and travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.