Pursue your passion for ethical products and fashion by volunteering in Cambodia for a social enterprise whose mission is to support rural Cambodian women with a sustainable income.
- Suitable for: Well-versed sales and customer care professional, experienced in tried-and-true practices with interest for sustainable products and ethical fashion
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Director and founder
- Generate sales revenue with new and existing clients
- Build, develop and manage client and prospect relationships
- Follow up on leads received using email/telephone
- Manage client accounts and documents as required
- Attend client meetings and other relevant events
- At least two years working experience in the position
- Minimum 2-year college degree, preferably Masters
- Excellent command of the English language
- Demonstrable experience in sales together with the potential and attitude required to learn
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- The ability to roll with the punches
- An open and inquisitive attitude. We are a start-up, so you’ll likely end up doing work every now and then that has nothing to do with marketing or communication. But it will improve your understanding of how a start-up works, because we’re happy to show you all aspects of our work.
- Independence, as you will get the guidance you want and need but will be given space to do your work independently
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Expand your professional skills – A unique look into the inner workings of a start-up in a developing country that is slowly moving towards a new phase;
- Make an impact – Your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist an organization that positively affects the lives of its employees and community of women
- Go beyond your comfort zone – Get exposure to different ways of doing things, including project management, conflict resolution, problem solving and cultural diversity
- You will work five days a week, standard office hours, reporting to the Director and Founder. On the weekends and public holidays, you will be able to use your free time to explore Siem Reap at your leisure.
- You will work mostly remotely from a café, as the workshop is located 10 km from Siem Reap, but will regularly visit and work at the workshop as well.
- Your host organization will provide you with pick up from the airport, use of a bicycle, visa advice, and a reference letter upon completion.
The Host Organization
- Since end 2016, the social enterprise is working closely with 15 rural artisanal women from Krobey Riel village, near Siem Reap, Cambodia and they create quality designed hand-woven rattan products, such as bags and baskets.
- Their goal is to support their team of artisans with a stable and financial future. They do this by providing them a fair income, offering quality level weaving training and a life skills education.
- The social enterprise is currently providing 15 female artisans a fair income. Since the female artisans joined them, their family contribution has increased significantly by 75%. The enterprise intends to bring people closer to each other by introducing Cambodia’s culture and ancient crafts to consumers all over for a more ethical and sustainable world.
- The brand is striving to reach out to the International market and they need your help !
- Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your living and travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.