Pursue your passion for ethical products and fashion by volunteering in Cambodia for a social enterprise whose mission is to support rural Cambodian women with a sustainable income.
- Suitable for: Well-versed sales and marketing professional, experienced in tried-and-true practices with interest for sustainable products and ethical fashion
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Director and founder
- Allowance: Pick up from the airport, bicycle, visa advice, reference letter
- Generate sales revenue with new and existing clients
- Build, develop and manage client and prospect relationships
- Follow up on leads received using email/telephone
- Manage client accounts and documents as required
- Maintain proper and professional communication on sales activity
- Attend client meetings, relevant industry events and conferences
- At least two years working experience in the position
- Minimum 2-year college degree, preferably Masters
- Excellent command of the English language
- Demonstrable experience in marketing and sales together with the potential and attitude required to learn
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- An open and inquisitive attitude. We are a start-up, so you’ll likely end up doing work every now and then that has nothing to do with marketing or communication. But it will improve your understanding of how a start-up works, because we’re happy to show you all aspects of our work.
- Flexibility and humor. This is Cambodia, nothing happens as planned. So we need someone who can roll with the punches and see the fun in experiences that sometimes come disguised as frustrating events…!
- Independent worker. You will get the guidance you want and need, but we will gladly give you the space to do your work independently.
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Vaccination booklet
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Expand your professional skills – A unique look into the inner workings of a start-up in a developing country that is slowly moving towards a new phase;
- Make an impact – As a professional, your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist an organization that positively affects the lives of its employees and community of women
- Go beyond your comfort zone – You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things, including project management, conflict resolution, problem solving and cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people.
- You will work five days a week, office hours, reporting to the Director and Founder.
- On the weekends, you will be able to enjoy your free time and explore at your leisure, as well as during public holidays.
- Mostly you will work from a café, since the workshop is located 10 km from Siem Reap.
- You will also regularly visit and work on the field/workshop in the village.
The Host Organization
- Since end 2016, the social enterprise is working closely with 15 rural artisanal women from Krobey Riel village, near Siem Reap, Cambodia and they create quality designed hand-woven rattan products, such as bags and baskets.
- Their goal is to support their team of artisans with a stable and financial future. They do this by providing them a fair income, offering quality level weaving training and a life skills education.
- The social enterprise is currently providing 15 female artisans a fair income. Since the female artisans joined them, their family contribution has increased significantly by 75%. The enterprise intends to bring people closer to each other by introducing Cambodia’s culture and ancient crafts to consumers all over for a more ethical and sustainable world.
- The brand is striving to reach out to the International market and they need your help !