Use your permaculture, landscaping, building, engineering, architecture or design skills to help a sustainable agriculture foundation build an Agricultural Technology Centre in Cambodia for the benefit of local farmers and students.
- Suitable for: Permaculture Specialists OR engineers, architects, designers with experience of plants, plumbing, electricity, engineering applied to sustainable low tech appropriate technology
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer / internship position
- Location: Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 1 month
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, flexible working hours
- Reports to: On site Project Manager
- Create CAD drawings or hand drawings of buildings, landscapes, living systems
- Help with manual construction work on site, hammer in nails, lift bamboo poles, plaster clay on wallet and similar.
- Get quotes, organize contracts, handle small sums of money responsibly and follow correct cash flow procedures to manage contracts
- Respect and understand the local legal framework
- 2 years working experience in permaculture
- Rural international development sector knowledge
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Sketchup, Photoshop and CAD
- Necessary vaccinations
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance
- Minimum 1 month
- We do not do “voluntourism”. We are proud to be working with sustainable and responsible projects where volunteers can make a real impact. Volunteering for only a couple of days will unfortunately not achieve the level of impact we envision for the organization or in the communities they serve. In some cases, short-term volunteering may disrupt the schedule and objectives of the project
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- Ability to work with people different from you
- Work Ethic
- Humor. This is Cambodia, nothing happens as planned. So we need someone who can roll with the punches and see the fun in experiences that sometimes come disguised as frustrating events…!
- Independent worker. You will get the guidance you want and need, but we will gladly give you the space to do your work independently.
- Copy of passport
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Proof of travel and health insurance
- Vaccination booklet
- Professional references from at least one former employer
- Expand your professional skills – Work alongside an experienced, multicultural and passionate group of professionals who will make you feel part of a family
- Make an impact – As a professional, your volunteer contribution and skill sharing will assist the local foundation to implement a highly innovative and sustainable agriculture centre.
- Go beyond your comfort zone – You will more than likely get exposure to different ways of doing things, including project management, conflict resolution, problem solving and cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen – You will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues and how you can personally influence positive change in the lives of Cambodian people..
What is not included
You should bring your own laptop, camera and/or smartphone
Food & accommodation (average $20/day)
Visa, travel and health insurance.
The Host Organization
- This project is located at a local Foundation with 5 years of implementing horticulture programs in 43 schools in Cambodia.
- With 1.2 acres of land provided by the Cambodian Government, their vision is to establish an Agritech Centre for vocational training purposes and to showcase ecological, environmentally sustainable farming and building practices to youth and female farmers in this province of Cambodia.
- The ultimate aim is to demonstrate to youth that a rural economy can be thriving and help provide for their families.