Get practical work experience in sales and fair trade and volunteer for a well-established US-Cambodian social enterprise whose mission is to reduce the environmental impact of the tourism industry in Cambodia.
- Suitable for: University or Master Students
- Project type: Unpaid Educational Internship
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday
- Reports to: Founder and Director
- Engaging with local NGOs and the development community.
- Helping to introduce our new Community Soap Program which consists of distributing free soap to participating organizations and setting up training schedules.
- Meeting with local businesses and introducing our new initiatives including our Jungle Cleanup Project.
- Attend all team meetings and keep your team up to date on your tasks
- Minimum 2-year college degree, preferably Masters
- Excellent command of the English language
- Demonstrable real interest in marketing, environment, and public health with a desire to learn
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and web-based applications
- You will be required to provide your own laptop
- You will need to bring professional clothing to wear to work and to other meetings
- Able to financially support yourself throughout the duration of the internship
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in the project
- Flexibility and spirit of adventure
- Ability to work with people different from you
- Passion for finding creative solutions that help the environment
- Well-organized and goal oriented
- Able to work both in a team on independently
- Copy of relevant qualifications
- Reference letter – nice to have
- Copy of passport
- Necessary flight & visas
- Full travel & medical insurance
An internship in Cambodia can be a greatly rewarding experience.
- Learning opportunity– Gain hands-on experience, acquire relevant skills for your future career and learn new ones. You will get exposure to different ways of doing things as in project management, conflict resolution, problem solving, cultural diversity.
- Become a world citizen– Get out and live in another country and will gain insight into a fascinating culture, complex social issues.
- Make an impact– Experience the satisfaction of contributing to an organization that positively affects the lives of local people and communities
- Bicycle for the duration your stay in Siem Reap
- Free Khmer language lessons
- Team building activities and group outings
- Support with any cultural or administrative needs in Siem Reap
- Introduction to the Siem Reap non profit and Social Enterprise community
- Safe, impactful, and enjoyable place to work
- You will work with a small, diverse team assisting on a range of tasks, Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. No day is the same and flexibility will be imperative.
- The host organization will provide you with a bicycle for the duration of your stay in Siem Reap, free Khmer language lessons, training on biodiesel production, soap production, and plastic recycling, and support with any cultural or administrative needs while on the ground.
- On the weekends and public holidays, you will be able to use your free time to explore Siem Reap at your leisure
The Host Organization
- This project takes place at a ten-year-old social enterprise in Siem Reap, Cambodia focused on reducing the environmental impact of the tourism industry.
- The organization collects waste plastic, paper, and cooking oil, and upcycles it into high quality and useful products. Specifically, the soap made from used cooking oil is provided to rural communities with the help of nonprofit partners.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your living and travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.