Use your journalism, digital marketing, communications and public relations skills to help a paediatric hospital in Siem Reap, Cambodia to develop communication assets and external media opportunities, while providing capacity-building and training to in-house staff in editorial writing, and social media marketing.
- Suitable for: Professionals with experience in journalism, digital marketing, public relations.
- Project type: Unpaid volunteer position
- Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Duration: Minimum 3 months
- Start date: Project is on-going, and you can join at any time, depending upon availability
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 8.00 am – 5.00 pm.
- Reporting to: Communications Manager
- Generate and develop written and multimedia stories (ie – patient/volunteer stories, news articles, research summaries, event highlights, etc.) for use in hospital communications (social media, website, marketing collateral and more) and external earned media.
- Find unique, relevant and urgent topics to bring to our audiences, and investigating interesting angles demonstrating the work of the organization.
- Proof and edit communications pieces by other staff to check for clarity, grammar and overall presentation; providing training, making suggestions and assisting local staff with any revisions that need to be made.
- Assist in the development and execution of an internal case study creation and management system, designed to help medical staff identify, flag and track patient stories for use in content development.
- Provide capacity-building and training support to local, in-house staff in editorial writing or social media marketing
- Work Experience: Minimum 2 years experience in developing content for a variety of media (print, social, website, broadcast, etc.) and/or experience in public relations, digital marketing, g and social media marketing.
- Language Skills: Fluent English
- Education Requirements: BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
Personal qualities and attitudes to be successful in this role
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills
- Drive, competence, flexibility and a willingness to learn
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to multitask
- The ability to cope with pressure
- Creativity, imagination and initiative
- Good teamwork, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Photocopy of qualifications and certificates
- Reference letter from at least one previous employer
- Proof of travel and medical insurance
- Background check (per our child protection policy)
- Additional hospital paperwork, if accepted
- Make a difference by supporting a high-quality healthcare organization, considered one of Cambodia’s largest and well-respected pediatric hospitals
- Gain valuable experience in a variety of communications, marketing, journalism and PR capacities in nonprofit environment and develop your skills in fundraising, grant writing, reporting, and more.
- Create a range of editorial and multimedia content with owned, regional and international media to use in your portfolio.
The Host Organization
- Your project will take place in a legally registered not for profit organization based in Siem Reap, Cambodia that provides high quality, compassionate healthcare to children in Cambodia at no cost.
- Since they first opened their doors in 1999, they have provided more than 1.5 million treatments to Cambodia’s poorest children and their families, have been officially recognized as one of Cambodia’s few paediatric teaching hospitals and have created wide-reaching community outreach programmes.
- You will work within the development department, alongside other expats and local Khmer staff fundraisers, grant writers/reporters, event coordinators and communications professionals.
- Your role will require you to interact with staff across the hospital, from medical and nursing staff to executive committee and administrative personnel.
- Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement. If successfully accepted for the position, you will be required to pay a project fee and cover your living and travel expenses. We will guide through each phase of your journey as you move forward. For a more detailed cost breakdown, please click here.